Wednesday, December 31, 2008

April 4th, 2008

On April 4th, 2008 I started my first real long-distance hike. For 5 weeks & approx. 470 miles, I had the time of my life. Originally planned as a thru-hike, circumstances beyond my control brought me back to Plymouth, Massachusetts. Yet I returned with memories & new friendships, those I hope & pray won't fade with time. Many times I've heard that a thru-hike changes one's life, and at this point in mine, I can still only imagine. Yet just 5 weeks on one of America's oldest long-distance trails has changed my attitude & thinking a great deal. In the coming weeks, I'll share some of those thoughts & changes, and the trail I hope to return to in a short while.








That vid was from the loose-hangin' Slightly, one of the fun folks met along the trail. Slight & I hiked the last couple of days I was on the trail, doing 23 miles one day together. In those 5 weeks, that was my biggest mileage day. We got into Damascus, VA on May 9th, my last day. Trail days started on the 16th I believe. In that vid were some other good people I met, namely: Aboman, 1/2 Ounce, Thought Criminal, Red, Meatbag & Doxie. Incidentally, they all completed the thru-hike. My hat's off to them. I only wish I could've been a part of it with them.

~The Pilgrim.

0 comments: